OOOOOOOOOOOOOH emmm geee, you’re going to love this!
This is my favourite dinner to make at the moment and I’m forcing it upon anyone who comes round for tea. It’s truly delicious and nutritious.
I often talk about the dreaded carb slumps that launch their attack soon after I’ve eaten anything like pasta and rice, so courgetti is a great way for me to enjoy my favourite meals without the worry of discomfort.
You’ve probably heard of it, but in case you haven’t, courgetti (or coodles) is simply courgettes that have been spiralized into ribbons or noodle shapes. They don’t require much cooking, just a flash fry in the frying pan and they are a great tasting alternative to pasta, spaghetti or noodles.
This is my favourite recipe for courgetti, especially for these warmer evenings when you want something lighter to eat. The pesto couldn’t be easier to make and is beautifully vibrant when teamed with the courgettes, broccoli, peas and spinach.
How to Make Courgetti
I make mine using a spiralizer. There are loads of different brands available – I have the Hemsley + Hemsley model which you can buy here.
Once you’ve set the machine up with the blade etc. simply push one end of the courgette onto the silver hole above the blade, and then push the handle into the other end so it looks like this:
From here, hold the machine with one hand (I like to hold where the courgette is attached to the blade) and turn the handle with your other, applying just enough force to keep the vegetable in contact with the blade.
I like to put a bowl at the end to catch all my spirals.
If you’ve done it right you should have just a few really long spirals, so go through and cut these with scissors to your desired length.
There you have it – courgetti! With most models you will have a few blades to choose from which will make different shapes, any will do so just play around and see which one you prefer.
I would recommend one courgette per person.
Courgetti with Pesto, Peas, Spinach and Broccoli
Courgetti with Pesto
- 100g pine nuts
- 35g fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced/grated/finely chopped
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 lemon – juice
- Salt and pepper
- 4 courgettes
- 1 broccoli, chopped
- 150g peas
- 100g spinach
- Handful pine nuts (optional)
- Parmesan (optional)
- Steam your broccoli and peas
- Place all the ingredients for the pesto in a bowl or blender and blitz until smooth. Add extra to adjust to your taste if needs be – I like it extra garlicy.
- One the broccoli and peas are cooked, add a little bit of olive oil to a pan and heat over a medium flame. Once hot, add your courgetti and shallow fry for between 2-3minutes or until they turn golden brown
- Whilst the courgetti is cooking, put your pesto and spinach into a pan and warm gently on a low – medium flame
- Add the cooked courgetti, broccoli and peas (and parmesan) into the pan with the pesto and stir through (off the flame) until thoroughly combined
- Plate up, and sprinkle pine nuts and a basil leaf
So simple, yet gorgeously delicious.
This would be great with some cherry tomatoes or served cold with mozzarella!
What’s your favourite thing to spiralize?