I am an ice-cream addict.
Pistachio, coconut, chocolate fudge, rum and raisin, raspberry ripple, vanilla, cappuccino, and not forgetting my favourite – the lemon top. Mmmhmm, gimme.
So, when I gave up sugar, ice cream was definitely high on my list of foods I was going to miss. The texture, the creaminess, the temperature. I love it that much, one time I went out for lunch and ordered ice cream as a side dish. Splendid. (I was hungover, so don’t judge me too much)
To curb this craving I started playing around with different ingredients and techniques, although I did have to resist chucking double cream, sugar, eggs and vanilla into my ice cream maker.
This has to be my favourite recipe, and if you look berry flavoured foods, trust me you’ll love this too!
Very Berry Cooler
- 500g frozen berries – I used raspberries, strawberries and blackberries
- 1/2 cup full fat greek yogurt (reduced fat usually has sugar in to make up for the taste)
- 1 tbsp honey (optional)
- This couldn’t be easier! Simply blend your frozen berries in the blender for around 2 minutes, until they start to break up slightly
- Add the yogurt and continue to blend until you get a smooth mixture
- I love the sharpness off this as it is, but if you would prefer it sweeter, add honey as a natural sweetener
The greek yogurt gives this cooler a thick, creamy texture very similar to my favourite frozen treat! I had to play around with measurements until I found the perfect ratio for me, so I would recommend adding the greek yogurt and honey in parts and tasting as you go until you reach your ideal balance.
I’d love to know if you have any sugar free ice cream cheats?